Saturday, August 22, 2009

~Weekly Geeks~


This week, tell us about a book (or books) you have been meaning to read. What is it? How long have you wanted to read it? And, why haven't you read it yet?


I came across this meme on Gautami Tripathy's page Everything Distils Into Reading, and wanted to join in, because.....this week's question was so perfect for me to answer. There are many books on my shelf that have been sitting there 2 or 3 years. I want to read them...I have planned on reading them....but still, there they sit!


One book in particular is Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. I bought this book at our county librarie's yearly Big Book Sale two years ago! This would be my first Margaret Atwood book, and someone recommended it to me. I was excited when I found it at the sale...but not excited enough to move it to the top of my reading list, apparently! I have not read it yet, because it is on one of my bottom shelves of my bookcase. Not a good excuse, I know. But....I tend to choose books that are directly in my line of sight, only because bending down causes me great pain in my back. What I need to do, is to moved some books from the lower shelves up...that way they will have a chance to be read sooner.


What about you? Is there a book that you have purchased that you have been meaning to read but somehow never get around to it?










16 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I have hundreds I really want to read. I think the one that stands out the most is Les Miserables, which I have been meaning to read since I was eighteen.

gautami tripathy said...

Oryx and Crake is on my TBR list! I gotta buy it soon!

Weekly Geeks: Why haven't I read it yet?

Care said...

Hi Missy! Welcome to Geeks-ville! I have this book in house - maybe we should org a group read? I think, top of mind, my book would be Moby Dick. Or The Historian. or... In response to Vivienne: Les Mis is one of my all time favorites!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Think I'm behind on my McCaffrey books - don't think I've read one yet where Anne's son is the sole writer.
And I still have The Time Traveler's Wife on my shelf!

L. Diane Wolfe “Spunk On A Stick”
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Trisha said...

I haven't read any Atwood yet. I know, I know, terrible. So if you do get around to reading her, I'd love to know what you think.

My Weekly Geeks is here.

Welcome to Weekly Geeks!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Missy, I detest flying too - ugh ugh - now that my son lives in Oregon, I had to learn to fly without freaking - bleah! After watching Knowing last night, I don't wanna get on a plane again - eheww--but have to....

Hmm, books - so many so many! I'd have to think o nthis one!

Lahni said...

Oryx and Crake is a good one, but definitely Atwood's best. Once you read it, you should try some of her other stuff, like The Blind Assassin or Alias Grace.

Kim said...

Oryx and Crake is in my pile too! I have read a couple of other Atwood books but never seem to get to this one!
*smiles*
Kim

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Weekly Geeks! I just read Oryx and Crake earlier this month...and loved it!

Wander to the Wayside said...

I used to devour books, reading straight thru with only potty breaks because I didn't want to break the spell! Now, I'm ashamed to say, I can't read for five minutes without falling asleep. The last one I read was when I had the flu a year ago, and it was The Secret Life of Bees (which I loved). But I'm really really excited about reading Pat Conroy's new book, South of Broad! I had a paperback of Beach Music that was dog-eared and dirty from so many readings, and from just shuffling around in general, until I lost it in the last move. So as soon as I get the new one, I'm taking a box of No Doz and making a pot of coffee so I can read it straight thru! (I'm a sucker for stories about those crazy, kooky, slightly off kilter southerners! )

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Oh girl, just go look at my post with pictures from my closet... and you will see what I trying to read, lol!!! All of them! I read one at a time and savor what I read. So, I think I am going to read Tortured by Amanda McIntyre...

Sneaking this in... I hava an award for you at my place!
http://alliwantandmore.blogspot.com/2009/08/bingo-award.html
I hope you enjoy it!!
Have a great weekend my friend!!

pussreboots said...

Oryx and Crake was my first Atwood read. It remains one of my favorites. My post is here.

Unknown said...

I haven't read this one. I wasn't so keen on The Blind Assasin but The Handmaid's tale is a brilliant dystopia. I should give this a ty, need to read more of her to see how I feel overall.
Move those books up! lol

The Bumbles said...

I'm looking forward to reading The Help. But I also want to read Chelsea Handler's auto bio for the humorous interlude. I read The Handmaid's Tale this year and loved it. So powerful. Oryx & Crake was highly recommended as well.

Kerrie said...

I don't seem to be able to read the books in strict order of waiting either.

Kristen said...

Margaret Atwood is one of those authors I keep thinking, I should read her (I'm Canadian too which makes it worse), but I just have never gotten into her books

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva