Tuesday, August 11, 2009

~Book Review - Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper~


Homer's Odyssey is a very special book, written by Gwen Cooper. Gwen is Homer's mom...Homer is a blind cat. Gwen adopted Homer when he was a tiny kitten. His eyes were infected so severely, that they had to be removed. Gwen took Homer home with her, wondering what exactly she was doing with another cat...a blind one, to boot!
Gwen had 2 cats already...Scarlett and Vashti. They were unsure of their new little brother at first. Homer became the light of Gwen's life. Where he lived his world in darkness, he brought sunshine and happiness to all who met him.
Homer's Odyssey is a wonderful story. Anyone who loves cats (or any animal) should read this. Homer's antics are incredibly entertaining. From his taste in music: "I learned that music had a tremendous impact on Homer's moods. Anything with a hard, driving tempo-rock or clubby dance music, for instance-sent him into a tizzy. Hole's "Live Through This" made him hyper almost beyond the telling of it. He'd tear around the living room, leaping manically on and off the couch or flinging himself to the top of his six foot cat tower, while uttering a low whine as if his body held so much energy, the containment of it was painful."
"The first time I played the Brandenburg Concertos, however, Homer fell into a deep sleep right in the middle of chasing a paper ball around. It happened as swiftly as if he'd been shot in the neck with a tranquilizer dart."
He taught Gwen so many life lessons, especially about relationships: "It was Homer, I realized, who had brought me most of the insights I'd acquired about relationships over the past few years. It was Homer who had taught me that the love of one person who believed in you - and whom you believed in - could inspire you to attempt even the most improbable things."
I loved this book from the first page to the last. Gwen is a talented writer and I am eager to read her novel that she mentions in this book.
This is a story that you will remember long after you have finished it.
FIVE STARS
  • Hardcover: 304 pages
  • Publisher: Delacorte Press (August 25, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 038534385X




Please check out Gwen's other novel Diary of A South Beach Party Girl.

7 comments:

Judi said...

OMG! I may just cry and that is not something I do often! That is so interesting about the music. I never thought my cats paid that much attention to it and may not since they have all their senses. I'll watch them closer now to see if they respond.
On a different subject...You read faster than anyone I know. I think I've read....one book to your....many!

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Oh Missy... Your review is awesome. I have never seen a book like this before. I am going to write this one down and look it up to obtain it. I AM AN ANIMAL LOVER!! Hubby loves dogs, that is why we have two dogs, and I love cats. Really though, we love all animals. We also have a ferret.
And it is amazing what animals can do to brighten your day. Sometimes, when I am not having a particularly good day, the dogs do something that is so off the wall (the baby grabs his hind leg and process to chase himself ~ yes, really) that will make me laugh till I cry!!
Tahank you for the recommendation!!!
I hope you are having a good day my friend!

Kathryn Magendie said...

I bet my mom would enjoy this book! She rescues cats - and has had cats with infected eyes that she's treated - one, a beautiful black cat, lost the use of one of his eyes.....

Blodeuedd said...

Aww sounds nice, my friend's mum just read about the library cat, i should tell her to read this one too

serendipity_viv said...

I just know I would love this book, I am a cat addict!

Missy B. said...

Judi: A cat that I used to have used to really react to music. I remember her tearing around the living room while I was listening to Sweet Surrender by Bread...and that's not even a fast song!

Cecile: That is why we all get along so well here in the blogosphere! All of us love cats, dogs and books! It is a terrific book...put it on your TBR list!

Kathryn: Buy the book for your mom...she will love it.

Blodeudd: I still have not read Dewey The Library Cat...it is on my shelf to be read. Let your friend know about this book...it's a wonderful read.

Vivienne: Read this book...it is awesome. When my husband saw the cover and saw that it was about a cat, he said "why do you read books like that? They only upset you". I literally laughed out loud at Homer's antics. I assure you no tears were shed while reading this (well, maybe tears of happiness!)

Becca said...

This book sounds heartwarming and lovely. Thank you for the review!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva