Saturday, August 29, 2009

~Flashback - 1981~

President Reagan wounded by gunman, with press secretary and two law-enforcement officers (March 30).

US GDP (1998 dollars): $3,115.90 billion
Federal spending: $678.25 billion
Federal debt: $994.8 billion
Median Household Income
(current dollars):
$19,074
Consumer Price Index: 90.9
Unemployment: 7.6%
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.15 ($0.18 as of 3/22/81; $0.20 as of 11/1/81)
  • MTV goes on the air running around the clock music videos, debuting with "Video Killed the Radio Star."
  • The Supreme Court rules to allow television cameras in the courtroom.
  • Pacman-mania sweeps the country.
Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Chariots of Fire, On Golden Pond, Reds, Atlantic City

Record of the Year: "Sailing," Christopher Cross
Album of the Year: Christopher Cross, Christopher Cross (Warner Bros.)
Song of the Year: "Sailing," Christopher Cross, songwriter
This is the year that my parents wanted to disown me. I ran wild with my group of friends and the summer of 1981 was one of the best for me.
Friday and Saturday nights, hanging out, listening to REO Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity album, Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight" and Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl".





7 comments:

Wander to the Wayside said...

I love these flashbacks! In 1981 I turned 33, Melody turned 7, and David and I had our 8th anniversary. I started my first job since after Melody was born, and we got a new bunny-Peter Wabbit. Our other pets were Snookey, Shaz, Grumpy, Honey Bun, and Tweety (3 dogs, 1 cat, and a bird), and two turkeys. (I keep a notebook where I list all these things, because I need that mind jogger!) I loved Rick Springfield because I watched General Hospital, and to this day On Golden Pond is on my top five list of favorite movies.

As I watched all the stuff about Ted Kennedy this week, I realized how many things just fall to the wayside of our consciousness of all things past - and these mind joggers, whether a tv show or a post like this, pull them out of hiding and let us see how large a part these periferal events are to our personal daily lives.

Thanks!

Missy B. said...

I agree. I have a pretty good memory of the past, and it helps that I kept a diary every year from 1977 to 1985. I wish I had kept going beyond that, but unfortunately, 1985 was another "turning point" year that I want to forget. :(
But you are right...all it takes is a song, a smell, or something else so trivial to generate strong memories. Thanks for stopping by!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I remember that year so well! I was a freshman/sophomore in high school. And while it was a great year for movies, Raiders was definitely the best. I saw it three times in the theatre...
However, there's a skelleton in my movie closet - I saw Heavy Metal seven times that summer! LOL

L. Diane Wolfe “Spunk On A Stick”
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com

Missy B. said...

Hehehehe I saw Heavy Metal 5 times...and own the dvd! :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Missy, I am so relieved!
Okay, I own the DVD, the laserdisc, a bootleg VHS tape, the soundtrack on record & CD, t-shirt, movie book, two movie posters, and the magazine issue featuring the movie.
And my D&D character is a fighter named Taarna.
Maybe that's a little obssessive?

Unknown said...

Wow, I love this <3 I was 10 in 1981, but I remember watching General Hospital & Rick Springfield was oh so cute!

Jenny Girl said...

My Dad HATED MTV. "That's not why I pay for cable!"
Whereas my Mom was busy humming and dancing in the kitchen :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva