US GDP (1998 dollars): $3,115.90 billion
Federal spending: $678.25 billion
Federal debt: $994.8 billion
Median Household Income
(current dollars): $19,074
Consumer Price Index: 90.9
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.15 ($0.18 as of 3/22/81; $0.20 as of 11/1/81)
- MTV goes on the air running around the clock music videos, debuting with "Video Killed the Radio Star."
- The Supreme Court rules to allow television cameras in the courtroom.
- Pacman-mania sweeps the country.
Record of the Year: "Sailing," Christopher Cross
Album of the Year: Christopher Cross, Christopher Cross (Warner Bros.)
Song of the Year: "Sailing," Christopher Cross, songwriter
- AIDS is first identified. Background: Understanding AIDS
- IBM introduces its first personal computer, running the Microsoft Disk Operating System (MS-DOS). Background: Computers and Internet
Friday and Saturday nights, hanging out, listening to REO Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity album, Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight" and Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl".