Thursday, August 27, 2009

~Book Review - The Girl In Times Square by Paullina Simons~


Lily Quinn is struggling to finish college and pay her rent. In bustling New York City, the most interesting things seem to happen to the people around her - until her best friend and roommate Amy disappears.

That's when Spencer O'Malley, a cynical NYPD detective, enters Lily's world. Though he is wary and wrestling with his own demons, he and Lily are irresistibly drawn to each other.

But fate isn't finished with Lily. Two pieces of extreme, life-changing luck - one good, one bad - are on their way. And, unknown to her, Spencer's search for the missing Amy is heading for a revelation that will make Lily question her most dearly-held beliefs about both her friend and her family...~Back Cover


The night I started reading this book, I found it almost impossible to put down. I was immediately drawn into Lily's world as her boyfriend whom she thinks that she loves, is breaking up with her and moving out. To add to that, her roommate has gone missing. Lily doesn't think it is anything to be worried about yet, Amy has done this before and she always comes home. Lily's grandmother buys her a ticket to go to Hawaii...Maui to be exact. Lily's folks are retired there, and her grandmother says that Lily's mother is going through a difficult time and Lily must go and offer support. Lily goes, but cannot help her mother. Her mother does not want to be helped, and Lily's relationship with her has never been good. She stays a week in Maui, each day calling her apartment to see if Amy has come home. There is no answer. Amy is gone.
Detective Spencer O'Malley is investigating Amy's disappearance, and meets with Lily upon her return to New York.

My Thoughts - I have set the foundation for this book in my short review above, but I have only skimmed the surface. This is an incredible story. I fell in love with Lily. Her character is lovable and exciting...there is never a dull moment. Without giving too much away, this is a mystery/love/survival/luck story that goes beyond the boundaries of any other book I have read. I read this book all weekend and when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it.

There is one little thing that I did not like about this book and I hate to say it....the ending. This is how I felt...others may feel differently. I felt like I was left saying "What? It's the end? It can't be the end!"

I am giving this book 4.5 stars. It would have gotten 5 if the story hadn't ended the way that it did. (***The ending is not bad - This is just how I perceived it***)

  • Paperback: 608 pages
  • Publisher: Harper (March 6, 2006)
  • ISBN-10: 0007118937
  • ISBN-13: 978-0007118939
  • Product Dimensions: 7.6 x 5 x 1.6 inches






11 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I just love Paullina Simons - her books are unique!

Sherri said...

Missy, this book sounds like a really good read. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the review!

Wander to the Wayside said...

Don't you just hate that - disappointing endings? But at least you enjoyed the ride to get there!

Darlene said...

Nice review Missy. This does sound really good. Don't you just hate when you get an ending like that? I've been left like that more than once-loving the book but not fond of the end.

The Bookworm said...

this does sound very good, even if the ending was a little iffy.
great review!
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Missy this book sounds very interesting. I like the concept of this book... If/When I get it, I will let you know how I feel about the ending. Has this book been out long. I might look for it at my library.
I hope you had a great day and a wonderful tomorrow!

Yvonne said...

This sounds really good. Great review!

Lisa said...

I will definately have to check this one out, Missy! Sounds awesome!

Icedream said...

I always get excited about a book when the reviewer is so excited about it. I am heading over to your giveaway to throw my name in the mix! :D

S. Krishna said...

I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds interesting. Thanks for the review!

Unknown said...

Please enter me, now I'm dying to know how the ending is disappointing!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva