Monday, November 16, 2009


With the holiday season now upon us, have you left any hint – subtle or otherwise – for books family and friends might buy you for Christmas? Do you like to receive books, or do you prefer certificates so you can choose your own?


This year is the first year that I have actually made a wish list on Amazon.com. Of course, it is full of....BOOKS! What else! I think there is one cd on there.

I have made my husband aware of the list, and have asked him to make his parents aware of it.

I absolutely love giving and receiving books. Gift Certificates for bookstores are also a favorite!

Last Christmas, I gave my father a book that totally took him by surprise. My father is one of the hardest people to shop for. He isn't a reader, either. He is a musician, and loves classical music, so I usually buy him cd's. Last year, while browsing on Amazon, I found a used book that was all about his Alma Mater, Morris Harvey College, located in Charleston WV. I ordered the book for him. When it arrived, it was signed by the author. Well, when he received that book from me, you would have thought I had given him a million dollars! The author of that book was one of my dad's old college professors! And he had signed the book, which made it even more special. I was so happy that I was able to give him such a special gift....

What about you?



7 comments:

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

OMG.. that story brought to tears to my eyes. When giving a book, unless you truly know the person loves to read (like us), you never know how they will react. But for the book to have that many ties to your father was amazing!! That truly is what a special present is about!

As for me... no hints yet... and none from them. Now ask daughter and she will produce a list for you.. websites, prices everything... lol!!!
Have a great Monday honey!

Wall-to-wall books said...

I always feel like I've been given a million dollars when I receive a book! I thought that was normal??? maybe not. I have made wish lists on Amazon before, it worked well. As far as books go - Unless I write down the exact title and Author, I would rather receive a Gift card. My mother-in-law is good at getting me books, but my husband, not so much (he gets me guy books, LOL)

Tiffany Norris said...

Very cool! My Amazon wishlist is actually not full of books...although it should be. Hmm...

Mo said...

I grew up in West Virginia and know exactly the school you are talking about. I took my first SAT there. Although, I think it had already changed names by then. Small world.

As for me, my family insists on detailed lists. They do not like to give gift cards if they can help it. They think that it is somewhat less personal.

As for my list, of course it is full of books.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I give lots of books for Christmas! Every time I visit a store for a signing, I pick something up.
And by the same token, I love to get them. Gift cards are cool, too!

The Bumbles said...

Why are Dads so hard to shop for? I bought my dad the leg lamp from A Christmas Story one year and you would think he had won "a major award!" Now I'll never be able to top that one ;0)

P.S. - Regarding your comment on our Movie post, I totally remember that Long Eared X-Mas Donkey movie/TV special (?) Haven't thought of that in YEARS!

Unknown said...

Wow, that is a great story about the book you bought your dad for Christmas last year. Amazing & awesome that it was signed and it was a college professor of your dad's! You must be so happy that you found your dad such a perfect gift! I love to buy gifts for people and a reaction like your dad's is a one in a million and worth every bit of energy it took to get it.
Fantastic story, Missy!

I love to buy books for people and receive them. I made a wishlist on Amazon this year, too, for the first time!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva