Sunday, November 1, 2009

~More 1990~

Me, as the Cat Country Cat

After only living in Bluefield WV for 7 months, my ex was offered a job in Fort Myers, FL. We packed up, and left our single wide trailer for The Sunshine State! Actually, it would be the first time that I had ever lived that far away from "home" (mom still lived in WV) so it was a bit difficult for me. I called my mother every Saturday morning, and we would talk for over an hour. I remember it being a sore spot between me and Mark, but I didn't care...I missed my mom! When we got down there, I was blown away by the scenery. The only part of Florida I had ever seen was Orlando. Fort Myers was so much more tropical. We rented a one bedroom apartment, Mark went to work at Cat Country 107.1 FM, and I found a job within a couple of weeks, working for Cellular One. Sometimes on the weekends, I dressed up as the Cat Country Cat for live remotes that Mark would have to do. The costume was awesome...BUT...it was over 100 degrees in that thing. I could only be in it for 15 minutes at a time, then I'd have to take a break. The little kids loved that cat....they would pull its tail, and ask "Can you talk?" I would just shake my head, as they would try to peek through the eye holes. The worst part about doing it, was when I would have to stand in the median of a highway and wave at cars. All day I would hear "Get a real job!" and get garbage thrown at me. At least I got paid for the suffering!

Another great per
k about Mark working for a radio station were the concerts! I had the good fortune of meeting many artists! The first concert that we went to was The Judds...it was awesome meeting them!

Every weekend we would drive out to Sanibel and Captiva Islands and would hunt for sea shells. The sand on the beaches was white and the water so so blue. We ate tons of seafood, and swam in the warm ocean. All in all, it was a pretty good year for us.

What about you? What were YOU doing in 1990?








3 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My husband's grandmother lived in Fort Meyer, so I've been there and visited the beautiful beaches of Sanibel Island.
And no one understands how hot those costumes can get, either!

In 1990, I'd just opened my photography business and had started doing photos for Cat Fancy magazine.

Wander to the Wayside said...

Hmmm. 1990. We had been in Georia for two years without our daughter running away from home back to Colorado, and we had many visitors from Colorado coming to see our new home and state for the first time. My adoptive cousins and I went to Florida looking for my adoptive mother (their aunt), and all the while my adoptive mother had died from cancer and her gangster husband didn't tell me, indeed said she was fine, so that he could continue to collect her inheritance money from the bank. Melody turned 16 and was hospitalized with her first of many kidney stones, and got her driver's license. I'm sure some good things happened too, so will have to get the photo album out and get back to you!

It sounds like there were some perks with the first marriage! I loved and still do the Judds. Your picture with them is too cute, and look how young you were!

The Bumbles said...

Oh I love Sanibel & Captiva - but that bridge fair is wicked expensive now from Ft. Myers to get over there.

In 1990 I was a Junior in college living in my first apartment away from the dorms. I was struggling to balance a part time job with full time studies. And I had met my future husband for the first time somewhere along the way. So I would say that turned out to be a very good year in the long run!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva