Sunday, November 8, 2009

~More 1991~

1991 was a busy year. We were still living in Ft. Myers, FL. I was still with Cellular One, Mark was at the radio station.

I had been experiencing pain in my ovary area since August of the previous year, and it wasn't going away. By February, I was miserable. I had been seeing an OBGYN for the pain, and all he kept doing was putting me on anti-biotics. I made an appointment with a woman obgyn and told her "something is wrong - go in and see what it is...." I had never had surgery before in my life, but I wasn't too scared, because I knew that something wasn't right and I wanted it fixed. The only thing that I was really afraid of was the anesthesia, and how I would feel when I woke up. The doctor did a laser laparoscopy, and found cysts on both of my ovaries. She diagnosed me with Polycystic Ovary Disease, and put me on a birth control pill to prevent the cysts. I was very sick when I woke up, and was running a fever. The surgery was supposed to be "same day", but they wouldn't let me go home because I was so sick. My lovely fiance, Mark, went on to work. I had no one with me....I spent the day being out-of-it in the recovery room, until they could get me into a room. Mark showed up about 10:00 that night, after visiting hours were over, stayed 5 minutes, then went home. The next morning when they released me, he picked me up, drove me to his mother's house...dropped me off, and went back to work. He worked all weekend. Thank God for his mother. Now mind you....this was the man that I was engaged to be married to in August of this same year.

Fast forward to August....the night before my wedding. After the rehearsal, my mother in law had a party at her house. I spent the evening in the bathroom with an upset stomach. I told my mother that "I must have a virus" and she and left. I was up and down all night with my stomach. We were both awake. Finally at 5am, we left and went to Perkins. I remember my mother asking me "Is this what you really want? Because you don't have to get married...its not too late to call it off..." I said yes, it was what I wanted. But I remember being unsure. This was Mark's second marriage. So, he had already treated one woman like garbage before me. At the time, I don't remember being angry with him for leaving me alone at the hospital, or not calling me in the middle of the day at work, just to tell me he loved me....he never did stuff like that, and I assumed that was normal.

We got married on August 24, 1991. We honeymooned in Orlando. After returning from our honeymoon, things went on as usual. My job started getting very stressful, as my supervisor whom I loved, resigned. As I knew was going to happen, they hired a total bitch to replace her. This girl had it in for me from the beginning. It so happened that I was offered the opportunity to work at a vet practice on Saturdays. I took the job, and worked every Saturday. I put in my resignation at Cellular One, which made my new supervisor so happy. By December I was working at the vet practice full time, and Mark and I were in the process of buying our first home.

What about you? What were YOU doing in 1991?


Brittanie said...

Are you still married to him?

Wander to the Wayside said...

I learned a lot about you in this post, Missy! We'll have to compare working at a vet's office notes - most people don't realize what a stressful and ass kicking hard job this can be behind the scenes, mentally and physically.

Ok, l991. I turned 43, my daughter was 17 and in the 12th grade and we were dealing with all that that entailed. We had a French exchange student who was a handful. Melody drove from Georgia to Colorado BY HERSELF, which scared the crap out of me. Hmmm. I'm drawing a blank, and I'm too lazy to get up to look in the photo album. Looked at colleges. Had many undiagnosed health issues that were ruling everything I did.

I didn't have polycystic ovary disease, but I did experience chocolate cysts on my ovaries, and it was incredibly painful, especially when they burst! I, too, had to have surgery, and eventually had to have a hysterectomy at age of 34.

I'd like to hear about your first marriage, knowing now that your gut was telling you that this was a bad choice! I had a first marriage that came about because I was pregnant (which I miscarried at three months), and it lasted five years.

Kitten said...

1991: I was a freshman in high school.

Judi said...

Interesting post. Funny how our mind and body know so much if we will just listen. I don't always listen to mine either, but I'm trying.

I have come to believe that things happen for a reason. We make mistakes. We move on. Hopefully we learn something, but more importantly, that one mistake may lead to something wonderful (the vet office job?. I believe our mistakes also make us who we are. Maybe that is just what I need to tell myself, but so be it. We do what we need to do at the time, don't we?

I admire your willingness to be so open with your followers. That's so healthy!:-)

itsJUSTme-wendy said...

Wow girl! You've been through some crap!

In '91 my daughter was 3 and I was a single mother. Two years later I would meet the wonderful man who is the husband I have now.

Midlife Jobhunter said...

Well, shoot, Missy. Where's the rest of the story?

1991 - I had two babies, got pregnant with the third. Never been sick with the first two, but, of course, sicker than a dog with the third. Was writing a monthly column on family life and editing a monthly newsletter for mental health. My husband worked long, long hours. My life at the baseball field began.

Lisa said...

1991 was the year my 2nd son was born. He was something of a surprise but it was time to have another one. He was 2 weeks late and only showed up nine days before Christmas. My oldest thought he was a great Christmas present until he figured out that the new brother wouldn't be able to play with him any time soon!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva