Monday, October 12, 2009

~October Reading - So far.....~


Well, I have managed to finish two books so far this month; Silent Cry by Julie Veazey and Who Do You Think You Are? by Alyse Myers. I began reading The Way Life Should Be by Christina Baker Kline last night, and I am almost finished with it! I am pleased, because I have been reading at such a slow pace AND have not had a lot of free time to read. Also, all of these books have been very good and I have enjoyed them very very much! I did have the misfortune and frustration of starting 2 books that I couldn't wait to read, only to find that I could not get into them. One was Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes and the other was Shelter by Jayne Anne Phillips. I put both of them back on my shelf...maybe I will pick them up again at a later date and try again. If I have to struggle with a story, or sort out too many characters, I usually put the book down. I always know when a book is good (in my opinion) because when I first start reading it, I don't want to put it down...or....if I start reading it in the evening (around 7:00 pm) and I am already halfway through it by 9:00 pm, that is a good indicator that I am enjoying or engrossed in whatever I may be reading at the time. I keep checking my PBS Wishlist to see where I am in line for books that I am feverishly waiting for: I am #22 in line for Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls, #7 for The Blue Cotton Gown: A Midwife's Memoir by Patricia Harman, and a mere #1426 in line for The Help by Katheryn Stockett.


9 comments:

The Bumbles said...

I enjoyed Mother of Pearl. I remember the overall story but not the details about how it began and ebbed and flowed. I'm not sure if you just aren't into the subject or the style or what though. I don't remember it starting off slow and then picking up steam - I think I pretty much read it right through.

The Help I could have read in one sitting had life given me the opportunity. It was a longer book and I expected to need a few weeks to complete it. I finished it in 2 days. I loved the characters and storytelling. Really resonated with me. You should just go and buy it as a treat rather than wait so long. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Missy B. said...

Thanks, Molly...I had kind of decided to go ahead and buy The Help...I have heard SO many people say how good it is! :)

Jo-Jo said...

I read Mother of Pearl quite a few years ago now, but I do recall that I did not enjoy it. It just dragged on and on for me.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Glad mine wasn't on the 'couldn't get into' list!
But hey, not all books are for all people.

Lisa said...

That's a good idea to put the book aside for a while. I sometimes push on and I don't know if the book just wasn't as good as I had hoped or if it just wasn't the right book for me at that time.

The Book Chick said...

I started reading a book the other day that just didn't hold my attention. I felt bad for putting it down, especially because so many bloggers loved it, but it just wasn't doing it for me!

"The Help", hmmmm?????? I'll have to check that one out, especially because it is so in demand!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've been hoping to read "Half Broke Horses" soon myself, but it's just on my list...not my stack. And I vowed not to buy any more books until the stack diminishes significantly!

We'll see how that goes!

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

I am glad to see that you found some "me" time to read hon!
I hope the weekend went about as good as it can go for you. My weekend was a disastrous.

Darlene said...

I'm the same Missy. If I start reading something and then look down a little later and I'm booting through it quickly I know it's good. On the other hand if I'm daydreaming more than reading then it's time to put it down for a while. I hope you get more reading time soon. I've been struggling with that as well lately.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva