Thursday, October 15, 2009

~Booking Through Thursday~


Today's Booking Through Thursday Question is:

When’s the last time you weeded out your library? Do you regularly keep it pared down to your reading essentials? Or does it blossom into something out of control the minute you turn your back, like a garden after a Spring rain?

Or do you simply not get rid of books? At all? (This would have described me for most of my life, by the way.)

And–when you DO weed out books from your collection (assuming that you do) …what do you do with them? Throw them away (gasp)? Donate them to a charity or used bookstore? SELL them to a used bookstore? Trade them on Paperback Book Swap or some other exchange program?

I went through my shelves in July of this year, and put some of the books on PBS. The trade paperbacks (there were only a few of them) I donated to a Senior Living apartment complex where my mom used to live. I go through my books carefully, reading the back covers or inside sleeves to see if they still interest me. Or I might read the first couple of pages to see if it grabs me. It is then that I usually realize that I have some books that I will probably never read, and can't really remember why I wanted them in the first place! The only reason that I would have to throw a book away, is if it is really damaged. Luckily, I haven't had to do that very often. I think all books deserve a good home!

I can't let my bookshelves get too out of control because I don't like the way over-crowded bookshelves look. I like mine neat and orderly, holding only the books that I plan to read. This is not the way it has always been...at one point I had so many books that it gave me anxiety about whether or not I would be able to read them all in my lifetime. I think I have pared it down to a reasonable amount now....and I can look at my shelves and breathe a sign of relief.

What about you?

***I need to add a P.S. to this post....While my bookshelves are neat and orderly, my house usually looks like hell....so don't get the wrong idea! LOL






11 comments:

Unknown said...

Aaahhh, neat and orderly. I love that too about pretty much everything. However, it's somehow always out of my grasp and that includes mountains of books, :).

gautami tripathy said...

I can't part with my poery books.

Booking Through Weeding

Wander to the Wayside said...

I think I've mentioned before that the last time I read a book was over a year ago when I had the flu. One paragraph in and I'm asleep. Years before that, I would read a book almost in one sitting, then start another right away. But I wasn't retaining what I read, which is kind of sad. Anyway, I had books all over the place, neatly on shelves or any horizontal surface, some stacked with a knic knac on top. And boxes in closets. Then this last time we moved four years ago, I went thru them and weeded out the ones that I knew I would never read again, the ones that I plan on reading again or that I'm sentimental about, and the ones I haven't read yet. The rest went in a yard sale or to Good Will. Sometimes to the library for fund raisers. I have some old books (20s, 30s, 40s) that I'll never part with as they are the center piece of my decor! And some just because they're neat. But now everything is neatly displayed. Sadly, I don't think I have any recent books that I haven't read, so should deal with the fall asleep issue and replenish my stock of books!

Sherri said...

Missy, when I'm finished with a book and if it isn't going to be passed on to someone else I put it on PBS. I love it there!!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

LOL...me too I like neat and orderly bookshelves...now my underwear and sock drawer is another story...LOL

Sniffles and Smiles said...

I absolutely ADORE books...and perhaps it is a little out of control...LOL...I keep commissioning my husband to build more book cases... But if it makes it to the shelves, I have read it already...Great post...very thought provoking!!! Thanks for following me!! It means so much to me! Looking forward to getting to know you better! Love the look of your blog!! So pretty and creative!! ~Janine XO

Kaye said...

I have a lot of keeper books but for the most part I pass them on. My friend just came down for a few days visit and when she left she took about 50 books with her. Now I have some empty shelves but I'm sure that won't be the case for long.

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

I will just comment with I love the PS statement. I was LMAO!!!!

I do not part with my books... At all. The TBR pile is screaming at me to find them a new home besides my cloest... they need air they tell me! I have way to many books... but I know one day... I will eventually read them all!
Hope all is well my friend! Have a great night!

Anonymous said...

Well done on keeping your shelves neat and orderly!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

You already know how bad my bookshelves look. I was a such a collector of books. Now learning how to weed them out - one at a time. Still, so many I don't want to part with. Tis a real problem at my house.

So many children's books also.

Glad to hear the rest of your house isn't so neat and orderly!

Icedream said...

Missy you did something I think I need to do. I have let my books get so out of control that now they just overwhelm me. My problem is that I haven't read most of them yet and I just can't bear to part with them. I have absolutely no problem getting rid of books I've already read.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva