Monday, October 12, 2009

Fall Festival Recipe Exchange



Fall is my very favorite time of year. I grew up in New York and lived on a tree-lined street. The colors were glorious every year! There was a certain smell in the cool air....there were huge piles of leaves everywhere...some poor soul had probably spent hours raking, only for us kids to jump into the piles and scatter leaves everywhere. Fall is a beautiful time of year that I look forward to each year. I also have certain recipes that I prepare each fall. My Pumpkin Bread is one of them. I actually came across this recipe when I was living in Florida. I missed the seasons terribly. Each year when I prepared my bread, I imagined myself being back up north, with the leaves and cool air.


PUMPKIN BREAD


1 1/2 cups of sugar

1/2 cup of oil

2 eggs

1 cup of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix!)

1 3/4 cups flour

1/4 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1/3 cup water

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp allspice

1/2 tsp nutmeg


Mix all ingredients together!


Makes 3 large or 6 small loaves


Butter loaf pans then pour mixture about 1/3 to 1/2 full, depending on how thick you want the loaves. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Watch them! Ovens differ...my oven bakes them perfectly in 25 minutes.


I go a little heavy-handed on the spices because I love cloves, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. At Christmastime, I buy the tiny aluminum loaf pans to use, then wrap the mini-breads up as gifts. People love them. :)


HAPPY FALL Y'ALL!






14 comments:

Kaye said...

Happy Fall to you too, Tootsie. Oh, I hear you about missing the seasons and the cooler air. It has been about 10 degrees hotter than normal for the past week. Makes me want to go back "home". Your bread sounds great. pumpkind bread is one of my daughter's favorites.

Carol Murdock said...

Sounds really delish Missy! Happy Fall to you! :)

serendipity_viv said...

I will have to try this, it sounds so yummy. We are not very good at celebrating fall in England. We just about celebrate Halloween.

Love the new look to your blog.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

Great recipe. I love pumpkin bread!

Heather said...

Hmmm....pumpkin bread. So good. So very good.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm a pumpkin bread junkie, too!
I recently attempted a recipe for sweet potato pie that was out of this world. It's similar to pumpkin pie but even sweeter & smoother.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

You suggest a really nice idea - to make this as mini loaves for gifts. A treat to give and receive :)

Darlene said...

Happy Fall my friend. I think it's pretty much skipped us here and gone straight to winter. The Pumpkin Bread sounds so yummy. I like bread of any kind. I love making little loaves when I make banana bread-they are nice to just pass on to someone as a treat.

Beth F said...

Sounds easy and good.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've never seen the leaves change color, but I've always wanted to! We don't get much of a fall here in south Texas...or really a winter...or even much of a spring!

Harvee said...

Cute photo! Great recipe- I might try it.

Wander to the Wayside said...

Yummy! Oh, and it doesn't hurt to toss in a handful of chocolate chips if you're so inclined.

Amy said...

I know I miss the marked seasons, and am thrilled to have cold toes today. :) The bread looks fab! Thanks for sharing!

Heidenkind said...

I've never had pumpkin bread before. It sounds pretty easy to make, though.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva