Tuesday, January 12, 2010

~Book Review - The Tin Box by Holly Kennedy~


From the back cover:

When her closest childhood friend dies, Kenly Lowen is given the old tin box they once shared. Inside is a secret she has kept for years.
This unexpected gift takes her back fifteen years, to a small town that was filled with hidden treasures; terminally ill Tommy, who loved her; old Max, who showed her that a fire pit is sometimes the best medicine; and edgy Lexie, who believed life should be lived. The people who changed Kenly's life forever.
The past can be treasured but it can also be a weapon. Kenly knows that it is time to free herself of old debts so that she can finally live her life without shame. If she reveals her secret it could end her marriage and shatter her world...But can she continue to shoulder the weight of years of silence?

My thoughts:

This is a wonderful story of young love and friendship. Kenly befriends Tommy when she moves to Canada. Tommy has Proteus Syndrome, a disease that causes facial deformity and other life-threatening health issues. Kenly and Tommy grow very close, and when Kenly decides to move to Chicago to go to college, Tommy is heartbroken. They keep in touch for awhile, but soon Kenly meets a man who she falls in love with, and marries. And Tommy is left only with memories of the girl that he fell in love with........

I loved the story and especially loved the characters. I breathed a sigh of relief at the end, because to me, the ending was just perfect.

I highly recommend The Tin Box.


published
October 31st 2006 by Forge Books (first published 2003)

details
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

isbn
0765351048 (isbn13: 9780765351043)

VERY GOOD!












8 comments:

StephTheBookworm said...

This sounds REALLY good. I definitely plan on reading it.

Blodeuedd said...

Sounds good, great review :) I do like a book that can be great

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I saw this on your blog last week and actually used it on Friday Finds! It sounds like a lovely book and I have added it to my list. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for the recommendation.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

This sounds like a good book. I will be adding it to my wish list. I love when the ending is just perfect!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

And thanks, Missy - I posted about my ten happy things tonight!

April said...

This sounds so good and like such a touching story. Just your review gripped me. I am definitely going to add this to my wish list!

serendipity_viv said...

Oh it sounds so beautiful, but sad too.

Anna said...

Thanks for letting me know about this book. It sounds worth checking out. And you've got me curious about that "perfect" ending.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva