Monday, September 14, 2009

~Book Review - The Geography of Love by Glenda Burgess~


At 30 years old, Glenda Burgess was worried that time was running out for her to find someone to share her life with. She was not married, had a great job working for the State Deparment and traveled extensively with her job. She wanted to find love and settle down.


She decided to quit her job and move back to Spokane, WA where she was originally from, and where her mother still resided. Upon arriving at her mother's farm, Glenda explains to her mother her plans for change, and her mother offers advice:


"Changing your life...well, different isn't necessarily better."
That's all she said. I collapsed inside.
"Look, Glenda....."
Her silhouette cast a long shadow down the slope from above. I felt my body bend instinctively toward her, needing so much.
"Thirty's young. You have time."
YOU HAVE TIME. The kindest thing she had ever said to me. pg. 17

One year later, she met the man of her dreams. His name was Kenneth Grunzweig and he was 14 years her senior. Already widowed twice, Ken had suffered through the death of 2 wives, and a rocky relationship with his teenage daughter, Jordan. Glenda believed she had found in Ken the love that she had been searching for. Ken fell hopelessly in love with Glenda, and they believed that it was their destiny to be together.

Despite Ken's objections to having any more children, Glenda became pregnant (of the 98% odds of that NOT happening, they were in the 2%...the lucky 2%). They had a daughter and and later on, a son.


Glenda and Ken felt so lucky....lucky in love and lucky in life. Until...Ken begins to slow down......and their worst fears are confirmed.


Their journey through life takes a different path then, and it will be a test of their strength and devotion, and how they must come to accept the cards they have been dealt.

"In so many ways I had learned the geography of human caring was far more complex than the simple topography of the family or love affair. And one gesture's reach, far greater then any of us could imagine." pg 236


My Thoughts: I absolutely do not want to put any spoilers in my review. I must tell you, though, that this is a memoir full of raw emotion and pain, but also full of laughter and love within a very special family. If you decide that you want to read this wonderful memoir, be sure to have tissues handy.


Five Stars

Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Broadway; Reprint edition (August 4, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0767928709



2 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Oh no, I do not like crying, I get so sad and depressed for the poor characters. I might just stay away from this one too

Vivienne said...

The story line sounds really sad. I have an inkling what happens at the end and I think it might be too emotional for me at the moment, especially with ailing relatives. Great review though.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva