Monday, July 20, 2009

Here is an update on my mom...and it is not a good one. Last I wrote, she had had her surgery and I had hoped that she would be doing much better on Saturday. That is not the case.
When I arrived at the hospital on Saturday, she was disoriented and combative with the nurses. She kept trying to get up out of bed, so they had to put an alarm on her bed to notify them each time she tried to get up. I gently told her she needed to stay in bed and the look she gave me was unbelievable....there was so much anger and hate in her eyes...she looked at me and said "You need to stop being a smart ass".
I backed up and went out into the hall to talk to the nurse. Apparently, my mother is going through alcohol withdrawal (and nicotine as well...she smoke(d) 2 packs a day). She has emphysema and COPD. She is refusing to eat, and is refusing to consider quitting smoking. The doctor just called me and said that they may be releasing her today or tomorrow to a rehab center, so that she can get stronger before going home....except that I don't think that she can go home again. The doctor says that if she starts smoking again when she gets out of the hospital, then her outlook is very poor.
Why do I feel like running away? Why do I wish that my brother would just handle all of this? What I have not explained, is that my mother and I do not have a good relationship. My mother very obviously favors my brother, and she admits to doing so. She is angry with me and I am not quite sure why. She is one of those people that is angry with the world...she is just a bitter angry person. She puts on a big front when she is talking to my brother. It was not always this way....at one time, my mom was my best friend.....
OK, I did not want this to turn into a bitching session and it is...I apologize.
I won't be blogging regularly while this is going on. Just please keep me and my family in your prayers during this difficult time.

XOXO Missy



16 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Missy, I'm sorry things are not going as you'd hoped. It sounds as if your mom is on her best behavior when your brother is there. Maybe you could time your visits with her for the same time he'll be there. ((hugs))

Kitten said...

If you need to vent, by all means do so! We're here for you Missy!

If you prefer to talk privately, E-mail me off-blog: thebookkitten@gmail.com.

Jo-Jo said...

It sounds like you definitely have a difficult journey ahead of you. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

avisannschild said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, Missy. Remember to take care of yourself during this difficult time. My thoughts are with you and your family. (And don't worry about blogging; we'll be here when you get back!)

serendipity_viv said...

Missy - I am so sorry to hear you and your family are having such troubled times. My husband is going through a similar thing with his dad. They have not had a good relationship for years and his dad has terminal cancer which is in the last stages. Only now, are they trying to reconcile, but it has taken a long while. I really do hope the outlook gets better for you soon.

♔ jessica.marie said...

I hope that everything turns out okay for your family and that your mom makes a good recovery! :)

Anonymous said...

{{{Hugs}}} Missy! I'll keep you & your family in my thoughts and prayers!

Blodeuedd said...

I will keep you and you family in my thoughts
*hugs*

Natalie W said...

Oh i'm so sorry!! As Blodeuedd said i will also keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Natalie :0)

Thoughts of Joy said...

Oh Missy ~ my heart goes out to you. I hope you have someone supporting you, as you go through this difficult time. {{{Missy}}}

the booklady said...

God bless you Missy!

Wall-to-wall books said...

Wow, Missy, I am so sorry you have to go through all this. I will pray for the both of you!

Anna said...

So sorry to hear this. I know how hard it can be to deal with someone going through withdrawal. My mom was hospitalized for several months when I was in high school, and she was going through the same thing. It was awful. If you need to talk, feel free to email me. I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Darlene said...

Missy, I'm sorry you're going through this. I can understand the difficulty, my mom and I have always had a rocky relationship as well. I'll have you in my prayers and feel free to email me if you need to talk. Hugs to you.

Cathy said...

I'm so sorry to hear that all is not going well. Will be thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

Teddyree said...

Missy sorry to hear that you're having such a difficult time with your mum. Don't apologise, sharing and venting will often be all you can do.
Will be thinking of you, sending strength to get through!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva