Thursday, August 12, 2010

Book Review - Meeting Lizzy by Sarahbeth Carter


If you heard a strange noise from the apartment upstairs, would you make an effort to find out what happened? What if something happened, but the victim begged you to leave it alone? What if there was obvious evidence of violence, but the denials were adamant? Would you forget about it and walk away? What if you were only 17? I'm Cy McEntire. I wouldn't call myself a typical teenager. I'm only average in the smarts department. Meeting Lizzy was an accident, but one I'd never be able to forget. I was just sitting at home watching Law & Order reruns when I heard a girl in the apartment upstairs. She was hurt. I was breaking the golden rule of being a successful hermit, but I couldn't help it. If what I thought was happening in that upstairs apartment was actually happening, I had to find out. I was so sure that I would be wrong that when I wasn't, I had no idea what to do. So I didn't do anything. It was obvious the girl was being abused, but she adamantly denied anything was wrong. What was I supposed to do? I'm not all-knowing, so I just left. But I couldn't get the girl out of my head.


I was immediately drawn into this story about physical abuse between a high school girlfriend and boyfriend, and the hero who saves the day. This is a boy-saves-girl plot with a modern twist. The story not only deals with abuse, but also the relationships between teens and their parents. I enjoyed it and highly recommend it to anyone who loves YA novels.

Photobucket Very Good!

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Paperback: 211 pages
  • Publisher: Ljw Publishing (September 19, 2008)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0976198665
  • ISBN-13: 978-0976198666


3 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

This book sounds really good, surprised? Well, no. Almost anything you review sounds really good to me!

Carol Murdock said...

Hey Missy, looks like you've been reading some good books! XOXO :)

Marce said...

Missy this sounds really good, I am willing to try because parents are involved, this is something I think is missing from YA.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva