Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Book Review - Please Excuse My Daughter by Julie Klam



I truly love memoirs, and this one was no exception. Please Excuse My Daughter by Julie Klam is a hilarious (and sometimes serious) peek into the life of 35 year old Julie Klam. She chronicles her life, growing up in the well-to-do suburb of Bedford in Westchester County, NY. I could relate to her youth, as I grew up around the same area. A few times she had me crying, I was laughing so hard!

Julie writes with a raw honesty that I wish I could present myself. She explained situations and feelings that she had that I, myself have experienced, only I could never put it into writing.

She grew up sheltered under her parents wings, and always knew that she could count on them for help. When she falls in love with a man that is not as well off as her parents, it knocks her into a realm that is unknown to her. I felt her frustration and longing. Before meeting her current husband, she had a boyfriend who almost ruined her financially....been there, done that.

Her tales of her grandparents are sweet and funny, and the situations that she has been through vary from hilarious to insane to heart-breaking. God bless her for putting all of it down into words.

I highly recommend this memoir. I can't wait to read her next book, coming out in October...."You Had Me At Woof".

Photobucket Very Good!
  • Paperback: 272 pages
  • Publisher: Riverhead Trade; Reprint edition (April 7, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1594483574


4 comments:

Marce said...

You had me at Woof, lol, now that is a great title.

Julie P said...

This sounds so funny! Thanks for the recommendation...

Unknown said...

I wrote this one down when you mentioned it in another post.

You commented about the book I read called "Who Killed My Daughter." You can have it if you want.

If so, email me your address :)

moellermom5 AT yahoo DOT com

I replied to your comment, but wasn't sure if you saw it.

Julie said...

This book sounds hilarious! Thanks for the review!

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva