Saturday, July 11, 2009

~Flashback Saturday - 1974~


Patricia Hearst, 19-year-old daughter of publisher Randolph Hearst, kidnapped by Symbionese Liberation Army (Feb. 5).

Richard M. Nixon announces he will resign the next day, the first President to do so (Aug. 8).
Vice President Gerald R. Ford of Michigan is sworn in as 38th President of the US (Aug. 9).
Ford grants "full, free, and absolute pardon" to ex-President Nixon (Sept. 8).



Movies:
Chinatown, The Godfather Part II, Day for Night, Blazing Saddles, The Towering Inferno


Books:
Robert Creeley, Sitting Here
Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Gail Godwin, The Odd Woman
Stephen King, Carrie
Toni Morrison, Sula
Grace Paley, Enormous Changes at the Last Minute
Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Gary Snyder, Turtle Island









3 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Well that was fun!
I grad. high school in 1980 so I would have been in ... 6th grade?
Carrie was the only book I read.
I saw Chinatown and the Towering Inferno (I had forgotten that one!) Blazing Saddles I saw but thought was stupid.
And I do remember Ford and Nixon of course.
I remember the whole Patty Hearst deal too.
Love the song American Band.

Thanks for that trip!

Yvette Kelly said...

If I was Richard Noxon I would have left the US out of embarassment.I feel sorry for his close family having to live with the shame of this.

Anonymous said...

I remember the kidnapping, I was young, but it really stuck in my mind because I'd never heard of anyone being kidnapped before.

I like Blazing Saddles and The Towering Inferno.

I love anything by Steven King!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva