EconomicsUS GDP (1998 dollars): $7,269.60 billion
Federal spending: $1519.13 billion
Federal debt: $4921.0 billion
Median Household Income
(current dollars): $34,076
Consumer Price Index: 152.4
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.32 (as of 1/1/95)
- Criminal trial of O. J. Simpson opens in California (Jan. 24).
- Scores killed as terrorist's car bomb blows up block-long Oklahoma City federal building (April 19); Timothy McVeigh, 27, arrested as suspect (April 21); authorities seek second suspect, link right-wing paramilitary groups to bombing (April 22).
- Los Angeles jury finds O. J. Simpson not guilty of murder charges (Oct. 3).
- Pope John Paul II visits US on whirlwind tour (Oct. 4-8).
- Million Man March draws hundreds of thousands of black men to capital (Oct. 16).
- Babe, Braveheart, Leaving Las Vegas, The Usual Suspects, Dead Man Walking, Pocohontas