Thursday, April 30, 2009

~Booking Through Thursday~ Which Is Worse?

Which is worse?

Finding a book you love and then hating everything else you try by that author, or

Reading a completely disappointing book by an author that you love?

I would have to say finding a book that you love, then hating everything else that you try by that author. That has happened to me, unfortunately, more than once. I might completely fall in love with an author's first novel, only to be bitterly disappointed in their second. Or any of their others, for that is just sad. I have had that experience with author Kristin McCloy. Her first novel, Velocity, just blew me away. I own it, and have read it several times. Her second novel, Some Girls, was such a let down. I couldn't read it. I tried, several times, thinking maybe it was just me. Well, it could actually be a combination of me and the story not being very appealing to me, I guess. To my knowledge, she has not written another book since Some Girls which was published in 1994. I keep checking periodically to see if she has something new in the works, that maybe will be as good or even better than Velocity.

Which is worse for you?


Jenners said...

Hmmmmmm...this is tough one. I just had this experience with Wally Lamb, but I guess it is worse to find a book you love and then not like the rest of the author's books. There is nothing better to me than finding a new author I like and having a bunch of their books to read and they all are good -- it is like finding a treasure chest. But I hate to see an author go "downhill" too -- like John Grisham or Patricia Cornwell.

There is no good answer to this question!

Missy said...

Yes, I agree. That happened to me with Wally Lamb too. Maybe that is a thought that needs to be pondered....Why Do Good Authors Go Bad? :)

Yvonne said...

That's exactly how I feel. It can be really disappointing.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva