Thursday, April 2, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: Library Week


Suggested by Barbara:

I saw that National Library week is coming up in April, and that led to some questions. How often do you use your public library and how do you use it? Has the coffeehouse/bookstore replaced the library? Did you go to the library as a child? Do you have any particular memories of the library? Do you like sleek, modern, active libraries or the older, darker, quiet, cozy libraries?

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

I have always loved libraries! My mother has always loved to read, so I was introduced to books at a very early age. I have lived in many different states over the years, and each time we moved, the first priority that I would have, was to locate the public library of the town where we would be living.

I was born and grew up in New York, Westchester County. I lived in Bronxville, which is a small village about 20 miles north of NYC. Bronxville had a public library, as well as a school library. I always had books checked out from both! Mom would take my brother and I to the public library with our book bags, and we would load them up!
When I was 18, I moved to Charleston, WV where I attended college at The University of Charleston. I was VERY fortunate to get a work-study job in the library!! I loved it! I was definitely in my element there. I wish I had studied library science and become a librarian.
After I got married, my husband had to relocate with his job quite often. We moved to Cape Cod for a couple of years. We lived in Hyannis, which had a small library, but nothing like I was used to. Then I decided to explore the Cape and find other libraries. That is when I found Falmouth Library...jackpot! A very large, old building, with cavernous ceilings, long oak tables, and rows and rows of books just waiting to be read!
I now live in NC in the town of Garner. We have a wonderful library here. Before I knew about Paperbackswap, I was in the library every other Saturday. I would spend almost all day there, enjoying the quiet atmosphere, and browsing the aisles. I made up a game of grabbing random books from each aisle, not looking at the titles, or reading anything about them, and check them out to read. I have found so many good books that way! It was exciting to find new/unknown authors
Since I have joined Paperbackswap, I no longer visit the library. I miss it!
What is your library story? I would love to hear it!

4 comments:

Forgetful Librarian said...

I'm new to blogging so please forgive me if this question is silly. when you say provide a link, to do you mean to we are to write a story on this topic on our blog and then post the link here? I would love to do that...just want to make sure I understand.
Thanks

Missy B. said...

Well, kind of. I am new at this too. You blog your story on your page, then go to the page of the person that originated Booking Through Thursday (in this case it would be: http://btt2.wordpress.com/ and leave a comment there, with a link back to your page. I am lost as to how to link back to my page from a comment. I tried to leave a comment there this morning, and it didn't work, so I am as lost as you are! I have been clicking on the Help button a lot, trying to figure this out.

Forgetful Librarian said...

Did you try just copying and pasting? http://missysbooknook.blogspot.com/2009/04/booking-through-thursday-library-week.html#comments

I copied this link from this page...let's see if it works once I post it???

Missy B. said...

It's funny...I was trying post my comment on my computer at work. Now that I am home on my own computer, it let me. I did what you said, and my comment is on there now :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva