Monday, April 6, 2009

~Mailbox Monday~

I really wish that I was one of those people who love Mondays. It is the start of a new week, lots of adventures to be had and books to read in the week to come! Alas, I hate Mondays....I always have. When I was a little girl, my stomach used to begin hurting around 7pm Sunday night, and carry over into Monday morning, when I could sometimes fake an illness, and stay home from school. I don't mean this in an unkind way, but my parents were real pushovers in that department. They were always rushing me and my brother to the doctor for sniffles and other little things. For this, I am grateful. A lot of my friends' parents were not like this. They always made fun of the way my parents were, but at least I was well-taken care of. I'll bet they were just jealous (a famous phrase that my mother used to use when someone was mean to me at school!).
Anyway! I will try to make the best of this Monday!
I received a couple of books in the mail over the weekend, and I can't wait to read them!

~Briar Rose by Jane Yolen~: I have heard SO MANY good things about this book and I am excited to read it! I will most likely exchange it for one of my spring reading challenge books.

~How Sweet It Is by Alice Wiesler~: This is a book that I was lucky to receive through LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

SYNOPSIS: Deena Livingston leaves behind a broken romance and her chef job in Atlanta to spend time at her grandfather's cabin in the mountains of North Carolina. But her grandfather has an odd request: he wants Deena to teach cooking classes to the ragtag group of middle-schoolers who attend the local afterschool program, The Center. Reluctantly, Deena agrees, but how is she supposed to convince these kids that cooking at home is better than eating at McDonalds? And after all she went through in Atlanta, why is she attracted to Zack, the social worker at The Center? Can a Dr. Seuss-quoting plumber, a curly-haired basketball player, and a group of middle-schoolers change Deena's outlook on life?

What's in your mailbox today?
Mailbox Monday hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page....Thanks Marcia!

8 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Enjoy : )

Jo-Jo said...

These sound like great books!

Blodeuedd said...

Sounds good :D
have fun reading

Missy B. said...

Thanks! I am looking forward to reading them!

Wendi said...

Briar Rose?? Is it a take off of the fairy tale? How fun if it is!!

Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

Toni said...

What a nice selection! Hey I hate Monday so much it is almost childish. Enjoy your books.

Missy B. said...

I think Briar Rose is a take off of the fairy tale...I keep hearing that so many people have loved this story.

Toni: I AM childish! LOL I think that I will always feel that way about Mondays, even when I am old and gray!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for stopping by the mailbox this week. Enjoy your books!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva