Thursday, May 10, 2012

Book Review ~ The Night Train by Carl Purdon




From Amazon:

 Abused at home and bullied at school, young Jayrod Nash steals away on a freight train with a vow never to return. His best friend tags along, but his heart’s not in it. They meet up with a hobo named Farley, who offers protection in exchange for obedience, and soon learn he’s running too.

“The Night Train” is a novel about the struggle of innocence against brutality, written with powerful characters who allow no commentary from the author. Together they paint a picture of life as it exists too often.

Carl Purdon weaves a tale that takes the reader through the full gamut of emotions, and leaves them feeling as if they have known the Nash family all their lives. Perhaps they have.



My Thoughts:

This was a great book!  The story is set in rural Mississippi, in the present day.  Poor Jayrod cannot do anything right in the eyes of his father.  His mother just quietly stands by and lets the abuse go on.  Jayrod plans his escape carefully, and executes it with perfection.  I was sad that the story ended, but was pleased with the ending itself.

I recommend The Night Train - My Rating:  FIVE BUNNIES! () ()
                                                                                      =..=
                                                                                          

 

3 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Ahhh Missy! You're back! I missed you so much! How ya doing girl?

This book does sound real good. Sounds like it could be sad.

Missy B. said...

Awww, thanks!! I missed you too! I have been SO lazy. I've read lots of books, but haven't felt like blogging. I am getting my inspiration back, so I have now have many books to blog about! The Night Train WAS good and sad in parts.

Unknown said...

I just stumbled across this and I'm so glad I did. Thank you SO much for your kind words about The Night Train. I just tweeted this link. I appreciate each and every one of my readers. I'm currently on the high of finding out yesterday my book had over 10,000 downloads so far this month. Blogs such as yours are the reason why. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva