Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Book Review - With Friends Like These by Sally Koslow


Have you ever been a less than perfect friend? To whom does your first loyalty belong—your best friend or your husband? With her trademark wit and empathy, Sally Koslow explores the entangled lives of women in this candid, fast-paced novel.

Quincy, Talia, Chloe, and Jules met in the early nineties after answering a roommate ad for a Manhattan apartment. Despite having little in common, the women became fast friends. A decade later, their lives have diverged, though their ties remain strong.

Quincy, a Midwestern introvert, is trying to overcome a set of tragedies by hunting for the perfect home; Talia, a high-energy Brooklyn wife and mom with an outspoken conscience, is growing resentful of her friends’ greater financial stability and her husband’s lack of ambition; timid Chloe, also a mother, is trying to deflect pressure from her husband, a hedge fund manager, to play the role of trophy wife; while Jules, a fiercely independent actress/entrepreneur with a wicked set of life rules, is confronting her forties alone.

When Jules gives her new boyfriend the inside scoop on the real estate gem Quincy is lusting after, and Talia chases a lucrative job earmarked for Chloe, the women are forced to wrestle with the challenges of love and motherhood. Will their friendships and marriages survive? And at what price? Punchy yet tender, a high-five to sisterhood, this book will hit an emotional bull’s-eye for anyone who has had—or been—less than a perfect friend.

My Thoughts:

This is a fast paced read with a lot going on!

I enjoyed how each chapter was narrated by each woman. I got them confused at times, and would have to look back. Eventually after I was 1/2 of the way through the book, I had them all and their stories straight. So much went on between them and to each of them, I was surprised and pleased at how the story ended. I was expecting something totally different.

I love Sally Koslow's writing style and her characters and most of all, her NYC story settings.

This was a good read - Not to be missed!

Photobucket Good!

  • Hardcover: 336 pages
  • Publisher: Ballantine Books (August 10, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0345506227
  • ISBN-13: 978-0345506221
www.sallykoslow.com







4 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've had my eye on this one...it sounds really good.

I love books about friendships between women...especially when tested by outside forces.

Thanks, Missy!

Jo-Jo said...

This sounds like one that I would enjoy. I have a couple of close friends that have been friends since grade school or high school and we have definitely had our ups and downs. Thanks for the review!

Kristin said...

I was sent this book to review and can't wait to read it. Great review!

Anonymous said...

I just got this book in the mail a few days ago, so I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it. Have you read Koslow's The Late, Lamented Molly Marx? If you haven't, you should!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva