Thursday, May 7, 2009

~Please Pray~

I can't write much today....I just wanted to let everyone know that I have a very sick kitty at the vet today. Her name is String. She is sixteen, and was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism about a month ago. My vet put her on thyroid meds immediately. He started her on a high dose because her thyroid level was double what it should have been. I asked him when she needed to be re-checked and he said one month. She has been fine...up until this morning. She was vomiting, lethargic...she crawled into our shower stall after I had taken a shower this morning and just lay down. This is a cat that has never refused food, not in the sixteen years that I have had her. She would not eat this morning. Hubby and I took her to the vet, where she is on IV fluids. The vet is saying that she clearly has liver damage, as she is jaundiced (I didn't notice that this morning). My frustration is.....why did he wait so long to re-check her? I think he should have re-checked her thyroid level 7-10 days after she started the medicine. It will be a month on the 15th, and she has been taking 10mg a day of methimazole, and now she is sick because she has had too high a dosage of it, and it is destroying her liver.
I said I couldn't write much but all of this is boiling out of me now.....Please keep her in your prayers. She has been with me for such a long time.....and I know I will lose her at some point. But if I lose her because I overdosed her, I won't be able to forgive myself.
I will write more when I get an update from the vet.
Thanks everyone......

10 comments:

Anna said...

I'm sorry to hear about String. Sending get well thoughts her way. ((HUGS))

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Missy, I'll keep your kitty in my prayers. ((Hugs)) to you too.

Blodeuedd said...

I love cats, I feel with you.
She is in my thoughts

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for your kitty. I have 2 dogs that are on a lot of daily meds for various health problems and I know your pain.

♔ jessica.marie said...

Awwww I hope Miss String feels better soon and doesn't go to kitty heaven!

Angela said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat.

Becka said...

Missy,
I am so sorry to hear about String. Carson and I will keep our paws crossed for her as you and yours did for Carson. I'll be praying for her.
Becka

Becky said...

All the best. I know how sad it can be to see a loved pet sick!

Thoughts of Joy said...

I hope your kitty, String, is doing better today. Sending well wishes.

avisannschild said...

I hope String is doing better too. One of my cats, Thelma, was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism nearly a year and a half ago (she's also 16) and it was a very scary time. I decided to go the radioactive iodine treatment route, which was very expensive, but seems to have done the trick. (Fingers crossed.) You and String are in my thoughts. Let us know how you're both doing!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva