Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Night Road by Kristin Hannah


From Goodreads:

Jude Farraday is a happily married, stay-at-home mom who puts everyone’s needs above her own. Her twins, Mia and Zach, are bright and happy teenagers. When Lexi Baill enters their lives, no one is more supportive than Jude. A former foster child with a dark past, Lexi quickly becomes Mia’s best friend. Then Zach falls in love with Lexi and the three become inseparable. But senior year of high school brings unexpected dangers and one night, Jude’s worst fears are confirmed: there is an accident. In an instant, her idyllic life is shattered and her close-knit community is torn apart. People and Jude demand justice, and when the finger of blame is pointed, it lands solely on eighteen-year-old Lexi Baill. In a heartbeat, their love for each other will be shattered, the family broken. Lexi gives up everything that matters to her the boy she loves, her place in the family, the best friend she ever had while Jude loses even more. When Lexi returns, older and wiser, she demands a reckoning. Long buried feelings will rise again, and Jude will finally have to face the woman she has become. She must decide whether to remain broken or try to forgive both Lexi…and herself. Night Road is a vivid, emotionally complex novel that raises profound questions about motherhood, loss, identity, and forgiveness. It is an exquisite, heartbreaking novel that speaks to women everywhere about the things that matter most.

My Thoughts:

I won this ARC from Librarything Early Reviewers. I was excited to read it because I loved Firefly Lane. However, the characters in Night Road kept me from enjoying it. I felt a strong dislike for Jude. I thought that Mia and Zach acted like spoiled rich kids. Lexie was really the only character that I could connect with, but I felt she was a typical orphan down-on-her-luck character. The story just did not seem real to me. Sorry folks, Night Road was not my cup of tea.
Photobucket Fair

6 comments:

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

That's too bad! I'm sorry to hear you didn't really enjoy this one...but I don't think I'm going to read this one either now. Thanks for your honesty :)

Marce said...

Oh no :-( I loved Firefly Lane and agreed to review this one also, uggh to bad.

Jo-Jo said...

I haven't read anything by Hannah yet, but just received this one for review from Library Thing also. I was actually hoping to read it with my book club since a few of the ladies have really loved her books. Maybe not though. Thanks for the honest review!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Bummer. I just accepted this one for review. Thanks for your honesty.

Zibilee said...

Thanks for your honest perspective on this book. I have read other reviews of it, and though the reviewers liked it, there was just something that I can't put my finger on that was holding me back. I don't think I would like the spoiled rich kids aspect either, and I need to have at least one character that I feel close to in the books I am reading. Not necessarily to like, but to feel some connection to. I think I am going to have to skip this one. Great review though!

Unknown said...

I'm so disappointed. I was hoping she would write another great one, like Winter Garden, which I loved. I think I'll still give it a try though but will simply have to be on guard.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva