Thursday, July 8, 2010

Book Review - Still Missing by Chevy Stevens


From Amazon.com:

On the day she was abducted, Annie O’Sullivan, a 32-year-old realtor, had three goals—sell a house, forget about a recent argument with her mother, and be on time for dinner with her ever-patient boyfriend. The open house is slow, but when her last visitor pulls up in a van as she's about to leave, Annie thinks it just might be her lucky day after all.

Interwoven with the story of the year Annie spent as the captive of a psychopath in a remote mountain cabin, which unfolds through sessions with her psychiatrist, is a second narrative recounting events following her escape—her struggle to piece her shattered life back together and the ongoing police investigation into the identity of her captor.

Still Missing is that rare debut find--a shocking, visceral, brutal and beautifully crafted debut novel.

My Thoughts:

This was one of those novels that I was constantly thinking about when I wasn't reading it. It was a very fast-paced edge-of-your-seat kind of story, keeping you guessing about what was about to happen next.

I loathed Annie's captor, whom she referred to as The Freak (not to him, only to herself) and the terrible nasty things that he did and made her do. When Annie gets pregnant and has a baby, her feelings soften a bit. She is still abused by The Freak, but has her baby to keep her somewhat sane. Until The Freak decides that he doesn't like to see Annie happy....about anything....

The story was a roller-coaster ride, the last chapters causing stomach-churning reactions to how this well planned tale played out. It kept me guessing until almost the end.....which in my opinion is the trademark of a great book!

I highly recommend Still Missing.....I will be on the lookout for more from this talented author. This is a fantastic debut novel by Chevy Stevens.

Visit www.chevystevens.com.


Photobucket Very Good!

  • Hardcover: 352 pages
  • Publisher: St. Martin's Press (July 6, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0312595670
  • ISBN-13: 978-0312595678


7 comments:

Julie said...

Missy: I have this on my TBR list, and your review only reinforces that choice. Any book that you think about when it's not in your hands is a book worth reading.

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

Unknown said...

Hi Missy, as you know I read a ton of memoirs, so this was something different for me (it was time :)

I'm about halfway through and LOVING it. The Freak is so freakin' freaky, I'm surprised I don't have nightmares.

Great review.

Lisa said...

Oh, I've been wanting to read this one but it sounds like I'd better wait until I have enough time to read it straight through!

Marce said...

I just came from vacation also and I searched for this one, sold out. I can't wait to read it. Great exciting review Missy.

Serena said...

sounds like you really enjoyed this one...others have had issues with the narration

Darlene said...

This is one I'd like to read. Glad you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

I thought Annie's conflicting feelings about "The Freak" gave the story some added depth. I thought it was pretty good, but it took me a bit to get hooked.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva