Monday, April 18, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love

My Thoughts:


This is a book that I did not think I would ever read, let alone enjoy. When I found a paperback copy of it at TJ Maxx awhile back, I picked it up, thinking....."maybe I'll save this for a rainy day." Saturday morning, after steam-cleaning my carpets, I decided to curl up with a book for the rest of the day. It was overcast and the weather people were calling for storms, so I browsed my shelves, and picked up The Hunger Games. Awesome choice! I read for the rest of the day, during tornado warnings (we are all fine....luckily the tornado missed Garner but did unfortunately hit downtown Raleigh, NC) and finished it yesterday. I was surprised at how much I loved this story! This week I will be looking for Catching Fire and Mockingjay. I am glad that I finally read this book. I know that I am probably one of the only bloggers left that had not read it....I am not one to give into a lot of hype over a book. I'm glad that I had put this one away for a rainy day....it was well worth it!

Highly Recommended!



Photobucket Outstanding!




7 comments:

Zibilee said...

I loved this book as well, and really loved the second book too. The third book and I unfortunately did not get along, but overall this is a series that I would definitely recommend. It was just gritty enough and had some of the best plot elements and character creation that I have ever seen in YA. I am glad you enjoyed it so much, and look forward to hearing what you have to say about the next two! Great review!

Wall-to-wall books said...

Never read the Hunger Games series. I know lots of people who have though, they are very popular!
I don't think I mentioned how much I love your new colors! I love the pink and green together.

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR said...

I haven't read the series at all and I haven't really been interested in it. It makes me feel better that you weren't really interested either and then picked it up and enjoyed it. I may read it some day, but who knows when. :)

Missy B. said...

I say give it a try sometime...I'm so glad that I did!

Zibilee: I can't wait to read the others. I'll let you know what I think.

Wendy: Thanks...pink and green are 2 of my very favorite summer colors :)

aLmYbNeNr: Do like I did...pick this book up sometime when you are in the mood for something different. I am totally a "memoir" reader, so I was really out of my element with this one!

Linda said...

I recently read the series. So good. I loved Hunger Games, but Catching Fir and Mockingjy weren't as good in my opinion.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I broke down and bought this on my Nook. Then I went to Marshalls and saw Mockingjay but I restrained myself. Who knew TJ Maxx and Marshalls had books? I hear this series is one not to be missed.

Marce said...

I am in the minority that didn't love it but can understand why so many did. Dystopian is just not for me.

So glad you enjoyed it, curl up and read the rest of the series now :-)

Glad no harm done with the tornadoes.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva