Saturday, January 29, 2011

Update


I still don't feel much like reading. I've read a few books since I last posted, and I'll admit that they were very short, easy reads. That seems to be all that my brain can handle these days.

I read Lockdown; Escape From Furnace by Alexander Gordon Smith, and WOW! What a read!

From Goodreads:

Furnace Penitentiary: the world’s most secure prison for young offenders, buried a mile beneath the earth’s surface. Convicted of a murder he didn’t commit, sentenced to life without parole, “new fish” Alex Sawyer knows he has two choices: find a way out, or resign himself to a death behind bars, in the darkness at the bottom of the world. Except in Furnace, death is the least of his worries. Soon Alex discovers that the prison is a place of pure evil, where inhuman creatures in gas masks stalk the corridors at night, where giants in black suits drag screaming inmates into the shadows, where deformed beasts can be heard howling from the blood-drenched tunnels below. And behind everything is the mysterious, all-powerful warden, a man as cruel and dangerous as the devil himself, whose unthinkable acts have consequences that stretch far beyond the walls of the prison. Together with a bunch of inmates—some innocent kids who have been framed, others cold-blooded killers—Alex plans an escape. But as he starts to uncover the truth about Furnace’s deeper, darker purpose, Alex’s actions grow ever more dangerous, and he must risk everything to expose this nightmare that’s hidden from the eyes of the world.


I also read The Clearing by Heather Davis, which was such a sweet story!

In this bittersweet romance, two teens living decades apart form a bond that will change their lives forever.

Amy is drawn to the misty, mysterious clearing behind her Aunt Mae’s place because it looks like the perfect place to hide from life. A place to block out the pain of her last relationship, to avoid the kids in her new town, to stop dwelling on what her future holds after high school.

Then, she meets a boy lurking in the mist—Henry. Henry is different from any other guy Amy has ever known. And after several meetings in the clearing, she’s starting to fall for him.

But Amy is stunned when she finds out just how different Henry really is. Because on his side of the clearing, it’s still 1944. By some miracle, Henry and his family are stuck in the past, staving off the tragedy that will strike them in the future. Amy’s crossing over to Henry’s side brings him more happiness than he’s ever known—but her presence also threatens to destroy his safe existence.

In The Clearing, author Heather Davis crafts a tender and poignant tale about falling in love, finding strength, and having the courage to make your own destiny—a perfect book to slip into and hide away for awhile.

I have TOO many books in my house at the moment and its freaking me out...I have no room and no desire to get any more.....this is the first time ever that I haven't felt excited about books or reading. I am going through my shelves right now and getting rid of many.....I already have 2 garbage bags full to take to donate. It is so sad because a lot of them have been on my shelves for 2 & 3 years and I've not read them. I just feel that this is something I have to do in order to find my way out of my funk. Wake County's huge annual Library Used Book Sale is coming up on February 18th, and I've promised my best reading buddy Cindy that I would go with her. I usually buy upwards of 30+ books, but I can't see myself doing that this year. That's what's been going on with me. I appreciate you guys checking in on me periodically.....makes me feel special! Thanks to Marce, for missing me...it was your comment that prompted me to post today.

Happy Reading and Happy Weekend!!

8 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

AAHHHHH! You're back!
I was getting worried about you and was about to PM you through "another site". I am glad you are still here.

I am always going through my book stacks and shelves getting rid of books. I always feel bad when I get rid of books I haven't read yet. I had the good intentions of reading them all! Only so much time in a day.

Love ya babe! ;-)

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Ahhhh SO glad to hear you loved LOCKDOWN! That series is just awesome! :)

Marce said...

Oh yaaaay, so glad to see you pop in even if it isn't on a regular yet.

Make sure you have a # in your mind when you go to Book Sale or all your hard work to get rid of books just will be the same :-0

I just read a book and thought I would be interested in reading a story about prisons, you have me intrigued.

Take care

Julie P said...

So nice to hear from you again! Hopefully your shelf purging will get you out of your reading funk. I have been exactly where you are at now. You will get back into it whenever you are ready....

Becky said...

I hope things are going okay!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Ahhh it's hard sometimes :) That's why I don't understand how some people have entire bookshelves of TBRs.

Julie P said...

Hi Missy! Just wanted you to know I miss you and was thinking of you....(((hugs)))

Marce said...

Hi Missy,

Hope your still reading and enjoying life.

Take care, Marce

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva