Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Book Review - Standing Still by Kelly Simmons


I picked this book up on Sunday and started reading it (even though I am reading another book and usually don't read more than one at a time). I couldn't put it down! I finished it that evening. Here is a synopsis from Amazon.com:


Journalist and suburban mom Claire Cooper suffers from panic disorder. Most of her anxieties seem irrational, nothing that can't be fixed with the help of some Xanax. But late one stormy summer night, when her husband, Sam, is away on one of his frequent business trips, Claire's fears come to life. She discovers an intruder has broken into her young daughter's bedroom. She watches helplessly as he picks up her sleeping child from her bed. Desperate to protect her family, Claire puts herself in the line of fire and utters the plea that will undo her: "Take me instead."

As she drives away in the kidnapper's car, Claire fears for her children, but not for herself. And she can't help noticing the reversal in her marriage -- for the first time in ten years, Sam will not know where she is.

For the next week, Claire is tied to a bed in a strange motel room, the intruder her only com-panion. She is forced to lie still and contemplate the reasons for this assault on her family. Is this just a random crime, or something more sinister? Has the shadowy past that she tried so hard to leave behind finally caught up with her? Day after day, she goes deeper into herself, reevaluating her marriage and her role as a mother, and unburying the source of her crippling anxiety. In seven days she will step out to the very brink of her soul -- perhaps never to return.

A riveting debut novel that will appeal to fans of Sue Miller and Janet Fitch, Standing Still is a powerful exploration of the darker side of mother-hood and marriage.

Awesome! I loved Claire's character...and surprisingly grew to love the kidnapper as well. This is a must read for anyone looking for a domestic/drama/thriller....all wrapped into one!

VERY GOOD!

  • Paperback: 288 pages
  • Publisher: Washington Square Press; Reprint edition (February 10, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0743289730
  • ISBN-13: 978-0743289733







9 comments:

StephTheBookworm said...

OMG this sounds SOOOO good. Thanks for the recommendation!

Stephanie said...

Wow ... this sounds like a very intense thriller. I think it might be something I would really enjoy.

I like your new layout, Missy!

Wall-to-wall books said...

Wow, you're blog is beautiful! Love the colors, love the picture, love everything.
The book sounds good too, LOL

Cath said...

Ooooh, as somebody living with panic disorder...I'll have to check this out!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Sounds very interesting. And I love the header you have up there right now. Made me feel light - and springy. Corny, I know, but true.

Hope all is well with you.

Missy B. said...

Thanks everybody! This book is really good...it's one I'm going to remember for a long time. I wish the author had written others, but I think that this is her only one.

Kelly Simmons said...

Hey Missy and friends -- thanks for the lovely review! If any one reads it and has questions just email me, I"m happy to respond. I have a second book coming out next February called The Bird House, and am now finishing up a third.

Happy Reading!
Kelly
www.bykellysimmons.com

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, Missy, this one does sound like a book you can't put down!

I'm adding it to my list.

Love your new blog background and header! I feel like I've stepped into Spring!

Darlene said...

This sounds great and I think I may even have this one on my shelf.

Love your new header Missy! The blog looks great!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva