Saturday, July 9, 2011

Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown


There are shelves of memoirs about overcoming the death of a parent, childhood abuse, rape, drug addiction, miscarriage, alcoholism, hustling, gangbanging, near-death injuries, drug dealing, prostitution, or homelessness.
Cupcake Brown survived all these things before she'd even turned twenty.
And that's when things got interesting.




MY THOUGHTS:



The story started out good, but less than halfway through, I felt myself beginning to get angry. Especially reading the parts about Cup and her husband charging up thousands of dollars on credit cards, with no intention of ever paying them. Then, Cup gets a job as a legal secretary, lies on her resume, treats everyone at her workplace like crap...I lost every bit of sympathy I had for this girl who lost her mom so young, and spent years in foster home abuse. I stuck it out and finished the book, but I was not impressed with her going back to school and making something of herself. For so much of the book she treated people terribly....It can't all be neatly wrapped up in the end with a happily ever after.

Photobucket Fair



5 comments:

Marce said...

It is hard to enjoy a memoir when you don't like or respect the individual.

My recent review of Three Wishes was similar, the entitlement feel was bad.

Love your honesty as always.

christa @ mental foodie said...

I borrowed this book a few years back because it sounded inspiring. Well, I couldn't finish it. I just couldn't get into it.

I read another memoir about a foster child and liked it much better: Three Little Words: A Memoir by Ashley Rhodes-Courter.

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I read this book several years ago, and I still have it...I had forgotten those aspects of it, but now that you mention it, that is an unfortunate part of the story. I don't think that a bad childhood excuses bad behavior. Sometimes it helps explain it, but remorse should follow.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Missy B. said...

Marce: That is so true! Haven't read Three Wishes...and I probably won't!

Christa: I read Three Little Words too. I liked it better than Piece of Cake also. It was also a sad read.

Laurel: You are right...bad childhood experiences DO NOT excuse bad behavior. Also, I can't believe how many abortions she had...and the shamelessness in which she kind of bragged about them. Someone on Goodreads said in their review that a "Piece of Cake" was a "Piece of Crap" and unfortunately I must agree with them.

Zibilee said...

I also don't like memoirs where the main character (for lack of a better word) is a total jerk and does all kinds of terrible things, only to scrape by and make it right by the end. I usually have lot patience with them by that time and don't care if they've turned over a new leaf. That being said, this book would have probably annoyed the stink out of me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Enchanted Neighborhood kit by Irene Alexeeva